The simple things

When I had my facility I had a wonderful female resident named Paulie. She had several issues that confined her to a wheelchair. One evening I sat with her and watched the sunset during the summer. She said to me "That was beautiful! Now, I would like to see the sunrise. I havent seen the sunrise in years. " A tear came to her eye and she became quiet. The sunset disappeared and I had to finish things up for the night.I got Paulie ready for bed, she said her prayers and I tucked her in.
Well, the next morning I got up very early to get a few things done before the residents awoke. After about an hour I noticed a bright pink light shining on the wall. I turned and looked outside and saw the most brilliant, beautiful sunrise I had seen in years. It was early but I knew I had to act quick as we all know how quickly the sunrise changes. I dropped what I was doing and ran to Paulies room. I woke her up gently but I know she could hear the excitement in my voice. I told her "I want to show you something, I need to move quickly" so I got her in her wheelchair, still in her jammies, tossed a blanket over her and wheeled her quickly out to the front patio. She didn't say a word. Just watched the sunrise. It was bright pink and orange. Some of the deepest colors I have ever seen in the sunrise.
At breakfast that morning it was was quiet as everyone was trying to wake up. Paulie peeps up over the others at the table and says "I saw the most beautiful sunrise this morning before anyone else was even awake". She was tickled pink to have spent that time watching the sunset and sitting quietly with me. I could tell it was a very special moment for her.
She was so excited about something most of us take for granted. It was such a peaceful moment for her and it made me stop in my tracks and think about the way I saw things around me. I think we tend to forget how everything is such a gift. Being able to get up and see the sunrise every morning, standing up out of bed, being able to care for these wonderful people.
I love my job!
Just remember to stop and watch the sunset!
Take care, all of you wonderful caregivers!